Dear UHD Students,
UHD is suspending classes for the week of March 16-21 and then restarting classes on Monday, March 23 in a fully online format for at least two weeks, with the possibility of a longer online structure.
These actions were made in response to the City of Houston’s Emergency Health Declaration and to limit campus exposure to COVID-19. UHD has no reported cases of the Coronavirus, but if you have any concerns about the virus, please go to the UHD Coronavirus website.
We recognize this effort to continue our semester in a fully online environment will require adjustment and present some challenges. Below are key steps to take during the next week to put yourself in a good position to successfully complete this semester when classes restart online on March 23:
2. Be sure that you have gatormail access and access to the Blackboard (BB) site for each course and check them regularly (at least every 24-48 hours). This is the primary method that instructors will use to communicate with you and for instruction while classes are online. If you do not have access to one or more of your classes on BB, please email your instructors at your earliest convenience.
3. Think about how you can access common university-supported tools like Blackboard, gatormail, Office 365, and Zoom from places that are not on campus. While your phone may be a primary tool in your personal or professional lives, remember that you may have to write papers, take quizzes/tests, participate in chats and other interactive tasks. Your phone may not be a best choice for many of these tasks. We plan to make available computers in the Academic Computing Labs and in UHD’s W.I. Dykes Library for students who can come to campus to use them.
4. Ask for help! We have resources for you and we know there is a lot to consider:
Online tools: contact IT support services
Fully online course questions: please contact your instructor for the course
Any other concerns or questions: Student Advocacy Form https://uhd.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ah0kOosVoMxZiw5
5. If you are registered with Disability Services and/or the Title IX Office, or anticipate needing an accommodation for online learning, please contact the Office Disability Services immediately at email@example.com or 713-221-5078 or the Office of Title IX/Equity and Diversity at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-221-5771.
6. Please report any contact you have with individuals with COVID-19 symptoms, under quarantine, or if you have traveled internationally (or plan to travel abroad) as per requirements of UHD’s Coronavirus Website.
Our top priority is the health and well-being of all of our UHD community and their loved ones, closely followed by our commitment to keep our students on the path toward meeting your educational goal. Please stay involved, stay alert, and stay online! We will be in touch regularly with more information.